in search of Space Monsters

exploring arcade game design with HTML5 and JavaScript

Playing with a Star Wars arcade game idea, again

I’m not updating this blog often enough so I thought I’d just share a sketch I made earlier with Wacom’s Intuos Creative Stylus and their Bamboo Paper app for iPad.
The game is a straight forward arcade game though for me it’s a little odd as the primary focus isn’t on blasting and explosions. At least […]

Jumpin’ Jasper – HTML5 SNES style platform game – development update

A considerable amount of work has gone in to Jumpin’ Jasper this last few days. I’m thrilled by the results of some intense pixelling. As always it’s the colour choices that end up defining the game and I think I got this one just right. Time will tell of course but I’m pretty sure this […]

Sprite creation for mobile web games – some thoughts on colour and composition

Back in my day as a Gameboy Advance artist we used to have some key rules for asset creation. Generally much of the design was handled externally via the client and we simply adapted any work for presentation on the small screen. But occasionally we were given some free reign to create new art. To […]

Artwork and development for Distant Orbit

I’ve been working hard to create the visuals for Distant Orbit this last week. I know how much I enjoy looking over other developer’s workstations so I thought I’d capture mine and post them up here.
I’m still undecided on the use of cartoon aliens. I like them but I’m not sure if it’s right for […]

Distant Orbit – some new screenshots

I’m still working on the art for this game but sometimes when I make a breakthrough with something I like to share it :)
Today’s breakthrough is the neat haze effect over the horizon that gives me some depth. Better still thanks to a bit of reshuffling of the draw order I can sit the distant […]

Fun with box art

Lunch times are a great opportunity for me to relax with Photoshop and knock together stuff that I just wouldn’t normally consider. Earlier today I was looking at a retro gaming site and admiring some of the fantastic paintings that adorned the Atari cartridge boxes 30 years ago.
So I had a dabble with creating such […]

Castle Quest concept art – the Wizard

I enjoy sketching out ideas quite quickly and throwing them in to Photoshop to explore colours and various other details surrounding the game’s final appearance. I’m a huge believer in having plenty of inspirational material to hand.
For Castle Quest I started off by scanning a few Milt Kahl sketches of the wizard Merlin from The […]

A sprite in the making

I love dabbling with sprites in Photoshop.
Give me some good music, a supply of caffiene and enough time for some pixelling and I’m in my element.
My “Castle Adventure” game is taking shape nicely. I have some cool features implemented and a neat goal for the game.

To move things along a bit I started to create […]

Creating promotional marquees for my games

I’ve been asked to provide some promotional material for my handful of HTML5 games.
I don’t actually have anything like this so the challenge of creating them appeals. Especially since I’ve been spending a lot of time knee-deep in code of late. It’s nice to switch focus to the other side of my brain for a […]

Pixelling the characters in Space Bug Racer

Happiness is an uninterrupted hour or so in the company of Photoshop, a Wacom pen and a coffee. Today I’ve managed to find some time to put some more work in to Space Bug Racer my soon to be finished HTML5 game. I’m enjoying it all so much I thought I’d share the view from […]

keep looking »
  • Categories

  • Recent Posts

  • Recent Comments