in search of Space Monsters

exploring arcade game design with HTML5 and JavaScript

Adding dynamic tweet functionality to HTML5 games

My current focus is with the PlayStar Arcade. I’m keen to push it as a platform for playing my HTML5 games. A lot of work has been carried out “under the bonnet” as we say in the UK and now I’m in to the slightly more entertaining areas of adding bells and whistles.
Something I was […]

A little side project and some thoughts on touch control in an HTML5 platform game

Spent a little time on a side project this last few days. It’s a pretty simple platform game that involves guiding a hedgehog / porcupine type animal around the screen collecting valuable items and avoiding the bad guys.
When I first came up with the control system I had intended for the game to not involve […]

Viewports and the scaling & positioning of the canvas

Having just spent a couple of hours poring over my code for scaling & positioning the game canvas I thought I’d share the experience.
Despite having made several HTML5 games over the last couple of years I’ve never experienced any real issues with scaling or positioning. Just recently however I’ve started to notice inconsistencies between browsers […]

HTML5 framework update

added full Web Audio support (tested iOS6 / Chrome desktop)

fixed 404 errors on AJAX call that still resulting in the onLoad event firing (misleading bug)

added webkitvisibilitychange support
paused animations in pauseMode (some obstacle entities use their animation frame to trigger collision)
soundtrack supported independently from main sfx()
Rounded floating point positions on rotation
replaced context.clearRect with canvas.width = canvas.width (resulting […]

Enhancements to my HTML5 game framework

The thrill for me in making these simple browser games is the challenge of a new feature. I’ve wanted for a long time to sit down and figure out just what I need to add to my game’s framework to ensure that future developments are made that bit easier.
There’s another driving factor: publishing the end […]

Creating a very basic “Star Wars” style trench scene viewed from above

Prototyping new game ideas is a lot of fun. Thanks to some serious enhancements to my game framework it’s also pretty quick.
I enjoy day-dreaming new ideas and recently I was watching something on TV that put me in mind of the film Star Wars. It was a fast paced scene in a TV show with […]

Adding achievements to Distant Orbit

It struck me whilst developing Distant Orbit that the game was crying out for a more persistent challenge – for want of a better phrase.
I wanted people to be able to play the game for a little while and have progress saved after each phase. That’s a fairly standard thing and in a standalone sense […]

Playing with fillStyle to create some neat game effects and text

Creating games using HTML5 and the Canvas isn’t always all about using drawImage(). For the most part it is of course because we want to display our lovingly drawn sprites and environments but there are plenty of legitimate cases where we might opt for using the primitive drawing methods such as fillRect().
I use fillRect […]

Touch screen and player movement

Today I have spent a hopeless amount of time playing with the touch screen interface for a new game.
The game is a maze game, similar in many respects to Pac-Man in the way that it executes, but quite different in its content.
When I started to assemble the code for the player’s sprite behaviour I knew […]

Playing with sprites, walls and new game concepts

I’m always looking at new game designs and cool ways to implement them. I also have my own system for creating HTML5 games that has evolved over the last 12 months.
I don’t use frameworks or libraries or such, I just enjoy getting my hands dirty with my own code.
But if you’ve read this blog before […]

keep looking »
  • Categories

  • Recent Posts

  • Recent Comments