A considerable amount of work has gone in to Jumpin’ Jasper this last few days. I’m thrilled by the results of some intense pixelling. As always it’s the colour choices that end up defining the game and I think I got this one just right. Time will tell of course but I’m pretty sure this is the most complete game I’ve made yet using HTML5 tech.
I’ve made a conscious decision to shift towards a SNES art style. This is not a casual decision, it’s very much a direction I want to take my games in going forward. I think the market for HTML5 games is maturing quickly and in order to compete it’s vital that I step up the quality of my output. I enjoy the art as much as the coding and crafting these sprite-based retro games is very much a part of the thrill. Of course the research that goes in to coming up with the art style isn’t so bad either!
So I’m definitely in to the closing stages with the game and am looking to tie up a few loose ends before I begin the lengthy testing process.
I have a few more features that have definitely crept in but they’re not huge and I’m happy to let them slip through the back door :)
Hopefully Jasper will prove to be a hit for me and I can build upon his character for future titles.